α-Tocopherol protection against drought-induced damage in Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Melissa officinalis L.

Download statistics - Document (COUNTER):

Munné-Bosch, S.; Schwarz, K.; Alegre, L.: α-Tocopherol protection against drought-induced damage in Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Melissa officinalis L.. In: Zeitschrift für Naturforschung - Section C Journal of Biosciences 54 (1999), Nr. 9-10, S. 698-703. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/znc-1999-9-1013

Repository version

To cite the version in the repository, please use this identifier: https://doi.org/10.15488/2514

Selected time period:

year: 
month: 

Sum total of downloads: 90




Thumbnail
Abstract: 
Summer diurnal variations of photosynthesis and α-tocopherol content were measured in relation to natural drought in field-grown rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) and lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L.) plants. During the summer relative water contents (RWC) of ca. 40% in Rosmarinus officinalis and ca. 30% in Melissa officinalis were attained, indicating severe drought. Both species showed similar diurnal patterns of net CO2 assimilation rates (A) with a wide plateau of maximum photosynthesis at midday in the absence of drought and one peak of maximum photosynthesis early in the morning under drought conditions. Net CO2 assimilation rates decreased by ca. 75% due to drought in both species. Melissa officinalis plants showed a significant decrease in the relative quantum efficiency of PSII photochemistry (Φ(PSII)), ratio of variable to maximum fluorescence yield (F(v)/F(m)) and chlorophyll content of leaves by ca. 25% under drought conditions at midday. In contrast, Φ(PSII), F(v)/F(m) and chlorophyll content remained constant throughout the experiment in R. officinalis plants. Although the non-photochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence increased from ca. 1.8 to 3 and the α-tocopherol content rose fifteen fold in both species in response to drought, only R. officinalis plants were able to avoid oxidative damage under drought conditions by the joint increase of carotenoids and α-tocopherol.
License of this version: CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 Unported
Document Type: article
Publishing status: publishedVersion
Issue Date: 1999
Appears in Collections:Naturwissenschaftliche Fakultät

distribution of downloads over the selected time period:

downloads by country:

pos. country downloads
total perc.
1 image of flag of Germany Germany 49 54.44%
2 image of flag of No geo information available No geo information available 18 20.00%
3 image of flag of Italy Italy 3 3.33%
4 image of flag of Iran, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of 3 3.33%
5 image of flag of United States United States 2 2.22%
6 image of flag of Romania Romania 2 2.22%
7 image of flag of Japan Japan 2 2.22%
8 image of flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom 2 2.22%
9 image of flag of South Africa South Africa 1 1.11%
10 image of flag of Albania Albania 1 1.11%
    other countries 7 7.78%

Further download figures and rankings:


Hinweis

Zur Erhebung der Downloadstatistiken kommen entsprechend dem „COUNTER Code of Practice for e-Resources“ international anerkannte Regeln und Normen zur Anwendung. COUNTER ist eine internationale Non-Profit-Organisation, in der Bibliotheksverbände, Datenbankanbieter und Verlage gemeinsam an Standards zur Erhebung, Speicherung und Verarbeitung von Nutzungsdaten elektronischer Ressourcen arbeiten, welche so Objektivität und Vergleichbarkeit gewährleisten sollen. Es werden hierbei ausschließlich Zugriffe auf die entsprechenden Volltexte ausgewertet, keine Aufrufe der Website an sich.

Search the repository


Browse